The lettings agent of the future will ….
1. Understand that people buy and area, not an agent.
2. Know everything about the property on their books, down to broadband speed, mobile phone signal, upload signal, satellite capability ….
3. Because of No. 2 (above), they will not waste time showing properties that do not fit the prospective tenant’s criteria.
4. They will understand that transparency of information brings them a better qualified prospective tenant and reduces time on wasted viewings. They will embrace transparency, not fear it.
5. They will used digital products, tech, and social web tools to better serve and communicate with their landlords and tenants. Some suggestions:
Imfuna – digital inventory app
DSSMove – the Rightmove for LHA tenants
RoomSketcher – free floorplan software
Walkscore – free site that allows you to identify amenities within walking distance of a property.
CFP Software – the market leading lettings and property management software.
6. They will understand and embrace the power of video.
8. They will understand the importance of client money protection and become a SAFEagent.
9. They will attend events, learn, and grow as business people. They will network on-line for the same reason, and to reach out to more prospective tenants and landlords.
10. They will understand that people demand instant gratuity, and will answer their phones within three rings, reply to emails within 2 hours, reply to tweets within 1 hour. They will employ a Digital Marketing & Web Assets Manager to take them to the next level.
11. They will understand that tenants work during the day, and will therefore facilitate viewings in the evenings and at weekends.
12. They will get to know their landlords and tenants with a view to a long term relationship.
13. They will use systems to manage their properties, viewings, maintenance etc to ensure efficiency.
14. They will collect data at every interaction with a prospective tenant and build a mailing list.
15. They will have a social cause, showing that they care and want to give back … perhaps supporting a charity like Shelter or a community project in their local area.
16. They will have a Complaints Procedure in place and deal with complaints in an amicable and professional manner, listening and learning from any negative feedback, not ignoring it in the hope that it will go away.
17. They will develop an on-line brand, reputation, and following that will add value to the business, should they decide to sell in the future.
18. They will support novice landlords in making good choices, giving free advice.