By signing up I agree to Property Tribes Terms and Conditions

Already a PT member? Log In

or

By signing up, I agree to Property Tribes Terms and Conditions

or

Don't have an account? Sign Up

Forgot Password

To reset your password just enter the email address you registered with and we'll send you a link to access a new password.

Don't have an account? Sign Up

• Buy-to-Let

Landlord Action to the rescue!

I am writing this post to commend the work of Landlord Action.

I have had an on-going difficult tenancy with a single Mum with 4 young children who lost her job a couple of years ago and has been struggling since. She split up from her partner in late 2013 and he left the family home and stopped contributing to the rent.

However, he did NOT ask for his name to be removed from the tenancy agreement.

The tenant became more sporadic in paying her rent, and despite repeated attempts on my part to communicate with her, she went further into arrears.

She was told by the council that the only way she would get a council house was to stop paying the rent and be evicted, so she chose to take that route.

After two months of arrears clocked up, I instructed Landlord Action to start the eviction process.

They served notice on the tenant and got a court hearing for yesterday - about 4 weeks since the notice was served.

I attended court yesterday morning and was met by Sarah, Landlord Action's advocate - she was very efficient and helpful.

The tenant turned up ... and so did the tenant's ex-husband and his new partner!

In the hearing, the tenant's husband tried to claim that he was not liable for any portion of the rent, but the Judge did not agree, and I got full judgment on arrears and expenses.

The tenant's husband left the room in tears, as he is a Bailiff and he was worried about his job now that he had a CCJ. My advocate approached him with a reduced offer to settle the arrears, but he was somewhat hostile, and flatly refused!

Meanwhile, the tenant agreed to pay a large portion of her share of the arrears there and then, and sent an electronic payment. She agreed to pay the rest within 14 days.

I am confident that I will get possession of the property in 2 weeks and I spoke with the tenant at the end and all was amicable. I did feel for her difficult situation and I will not be enforcing the full rent arrears because of this.

Thank you to Landlord Action for their efficient work. Their Advocate was really excellent and made the whole process pain and stress free. She spoke to all parties and tried to reach conciliation.

You can read another Landlord Action success case here where the landlord had the laugh last.

Landlord Action obtained judgment in the County Court, but the high value of arrears in the above linked case enabled them to apply to have the case transferred up to the High Court for Enforcement. They obtained a combined writ of possession and writ of control, as well as managing to recover the £16,000 debt prior to carrying out the eviction.

High Court Enforcement Agents (HCEA) have more power than County Court Bailiffs but in a recent survey we carried out, only 16.5% of cases get transferred up.

[Image: house.png]Related content:

"Cheap is often expensive in property" says Paul Shamplina of Landlord Action

Paul Shamplina launches new book

Landlord left more dead than alive after evicting singer Pete Burns with £34K of rent arrears