Forum Guidelines & Terms of Service
This forum is community-generated content, where landlords and property investors can all share opinion, knowledge and experience.
Property Tribes is free to join and use.
As we only want to encourage genuine and authentic contributions, we have adopted a ‘non sales’ policy within the forums and opted for an advertising/promotion/affiliate business model where our commercial partners "power" the different tribes and therefore maintain the forum as free to use.
Commercial partners of Property Tribes are clearly and transparently signposted. If you want to support the work of Property Tribes, you can choose to use our trusted providers of landlord products and services.
As Property Tribes wants to set the standard in safe networking, we have compiled the following guidelines of usage of this forum. The moderator reserves the right to interpret these guidelines on a case by case basis.
The intention of these guidelines and terms of service is to ensure your continued and active enjoyment of this site and to build a community of respectful interaction and valuable, authentic content.
1. No commercial threads/posts of any kind including posts that seek to canvass, survey, advertise, promote, market, or list build via the Property Tribes community whether obviously or by stealth. No hyperlinking to commercial entities unless asked specifically for a recommendation - see below. If you wish to use the forum for advertising, please see our Advertising Options.
2. Any member being abusive to another member, using personal insults, innuendo, assumption, provocative commentary, or any form of unpleasantness will not be tolerated. (If you see any commentary of this nature that the moderator may not be aware of, then we kindly ask you to use the "report" option, using the upside-down arrow top right of each thread and post).
The moderator reserves the right to put such members into temporary moderation, whereby their posts will be screened before publication.
3. We encourage everyone to use their real name and picture as their avatar as this lets the whole community know you are genuine and fosters a positive environment where people feel confident in posting. People will find you via your signature and your profile, so be sure you fill these in (after passing probation = 10 posts).
We also accept that people have legitimate reasons for not using their real name, so make the choice that is best for your situation. The moderator reserves the right to check your identity if necessary. (You can up-date your profile at any time by clicking on your avatar top left. A drawer will slide out and you click on "Account" to make any changes you need).
Remember that, if you elect to use your real name on Property Tribes, this will become search-able via google. It would be prudent to take this into consideration when considering which user name to use on the forum.
4. Any commentary concerning failed business transactions, failed JVs, under-delivered property training, or any such topic must be supported with documentary evidence to substantiate it, such as links, screenshots, etc.
If this substantiation is not provided publicly, or directly to the moderator on request, then the moderator reserves the right to delete the thread or post or put it "dark" until investigations have been undertaken into the veracity of the claims being made.
We understand that emotions can run high on this topics, but please refrain from using emotional rhetoric when posting and just provide a factual account of the circumstances.
It is acceptable to name the business owner or company directors, but please refrain from naming staff members.
5. We encourage product, service, and people recommendations.
However, in order for a member to make a recommendation there are two conditions that need to be met:
i. The person asked for a specific recommendation. These are generally posted in the “Wanted and Recommendations” tribe.
ii. In order to make a recommendation, you must have passed through probation = 10 posts.
6. Please do not send unsolicited sales messages via private messaging. This is unacceptable.
7. If you post on Property Tribes, please be prepared to come back on your thread and respond, or at the very least thank the people who answered. This is just good net-iquette.
8. If you have an event - offline or online - that you wish to publicise, please use our FREE Events listings by accessing the Events tab at the top of the home page. Events should not be posted as a thread in the main forums without obtaining permission from the moderator first.
9. The moderator reserves the right to take appropriate action against members or “identities” who are ‘spamming’ or seeking to be disruptive in any way, including malicious behaviour or any form of harassment, trolling, or bullying. This can also include demanding responses from other members, hi-jacking or de-railing threads by taking them off-topic, haranguing other members, being disproportionally critical or aggressive, and generally creating an unpleasant atmosphere that might put others off from posting or joining the discussion. The moderator also reserves the right to take appropriate action with regards to newly created "single purpose" profiles which have joined solely to create commentary around one specific and contentious topic.
Such behaviour may include putting members into temporary moderation to screen their content before publication to ensure it meets the Terms and Conditions of use of the forum.
10. The moderator reserves the right to remove content that may bring Property Tribes or landlords into disrepute.
11. The moderator reserves the right to split off posts into a new thread if there is significant thread drift.
12. You use Property Tribes at your own risk. We cannot be held responsible for any information or any other person who uses this site.
You are strongly advised undertake your own due diligence on any information, individual, or company (including commercial partners) that you find via this site before making any kind of commercial decision based on it. Property Tribes will not be held responsible for any person or information you transact with as a result of using this free site.
13. The moderator reserves the right to change the title of a post, move it to a more appropriate category, amend a post to make it clearer, change a long URL string to a hyperlinked title, and to change a video URL to an embedded video within the thread.
With regards to images, Property Tribes has a default size of image. The moderator reserves the right to re-size graphics, images, pictures, screenshots etc. , if they are too small to read properly.
This is done with discretion to assist our members to understand if the thread is relevant to them and/or to make it easier to consume the content shared.
14. If you see anything on Property Tribes that causes offence, please notify the moderator by using the “report” button which can be found under the upside-down arrow, top right of the post in question. Select “report” option and fill in the box.
15. If you find that a contributor annoys you, then use the “block” or “mute” options which can be found under the upside-down arrow, top right of the post in question. This will collapse this member’s comments out of your time-line and you will not be exposed to their commentary further.
16. Threads can only be posted once in one tribe. Multiple duplicate threads are not permitted and will be deleted.
17. The moderator has the right to amend any content that does not meet our guidelines or is not in keeping with the ethos and spirit of the community, or does not meet our community standards.
* If you need guidance on using Property Tribes, there are many helpful threads posted in Community.
* If you are unsure of anything, or you have a complaint about any member or content, then use the “report” options or get in touch with the moderator.
* If you have trouble re-setting your password, please contact the moderator for assistance. Do not create a second account as this is against our Terms and Conditions.
18. "Pied piper" posts are not allowed. These are responses that give a little bit of information and then invite the person to take the conversation off-line or into private messaging. It is far healthier for people to debate in the public domain, as this gives some level of community-generated safe-guarding. Inviting people off forum is not in keeping with the spirit or ethos of Property Tribes, and any such invitations will be removed by the moderator.
See - Be wary of the social media "pied piper"
19. Any deal sourcers posting on Property Tribes need to confirm that they are compliant by advising their independent redress scheme membership and registration number in their signature. This is a further form of community safe-guarding.
See - Security measure to safe-guard the community
20. Members who have passed probation can use MarketPlace to buy and sell items of interest to landlords. This is a service for contributing members, not a place for corporate postings.
See - Introducing Property Tribes "MarketPlace"
21. Property Tribes cannot be used to solicit JV partners or seek private funding.
22. Repeated attempts at "cancel culture" without evidence of wrong-doing i.e. unsubstantiated commentary is not acceptable behaviour and will lead to your account being deleted or put into moderation.
23. We do not allow cutting and pasting of entire articles featured elsewhere on social media without prior permission of the moderator.
24. Property Tribes has a zero tolerance of any form of bullying. If you feel this is happening to you, please contact the moderator for immediate assistance. You can use the "report" button or write to nicktadd (at) mac.com.
25. We have zero tolerance of claims of being bullying, without any robust/substantiated evidence. An accusation of bullying when you don't like being legitimately challenged is not acceptable. All of the above can and will lead to either suspension, permanent moderation, or account deletion.
26. This forum does not allow any abusive commentary about tenants or undermining of their legal rights. Any such commentary will be deleted.
27. Automated moderation: Property Tribes has coding in the back end that detects spam, other irregularities, or certain words that are not allowed on our forum. If the coding detects this, your thread or post will go into a "moderation silo" to be reviewed by the moderator before publication.
The automated moderation also happens during the hours of 23.00 and 07.00 to ensure that the platform is not spammed while the moderator is asleep!
Should your thread or post end up in moderation, the moderator reserves the right to amend or moderate it before publication to ensure that it adheres to our Terms and Conditions of use of the forums. This may be removal of certain words, or amending certain words without changing the meaning of what you have written.
If you are unsure why you have been put into moderation then you should contact the moderator for clarity. NOTE: The moderators word is final and arguing with them only confirms the decision - reasoned debate will be accepted.
Should the moderator deem that your post does not meet our T & C's and/or our community standards, it will not be published.
Members who have been trolling or disrupting the forum, or being abusive to others, or generally not adhering to the T & C's, may find themselves put into automatic moderation where all their posts will be reviewed by the moderator before publishing. This may be temporary or permanent depending on the behaviour of the individual concerned.
Property Tribes has a 'three strikes rule' that is made at the discretion of the moderator. If you abuse these T's and C's then you will be suspended from posting without going through the moderator first. Once the moderator is satisfied that you will adhere to the T's and C's then you will be allowed to post again freely.
This will only happen twice, the third time will be permanent suspension.
Nick Tadd is the sole moderation of Property Tribes and should be contacted about all moderation issues.
You have to pass through probation to earn such privileges as posting links, having a signature, using the private messaging system etc. Probation is 10 posts.
While on probation, you cannot post links or make recommendations for products and services.
These are community safe-guarding measures to protect members from spammers.
Anyone trying to “game” probation will find that the moderator takes appropriate action which may mean re-setting your post count back to zero.
If you need to insert screenshots or links to substantiate something while on probation, you should contact the moderator and these can be added for you by admins.
Terms of Service:
The following Terms of Service apply to your use of Property Tribes. You are solely responsible for your conduct and your content on the Network and compliance with these terms.
By registering with us or using or browsing Property Tribes, you acknowledge that you have read, understood, and agree to be bound by these terms.
Property Tribes for users 18 years of age or older. Any person who provides their personal information through Property Tribes represents that they are 18 years of age or older.
You agree that you will not post, email or make available any content or use Property Tribes:
In a manner that infringes, violates or misappropriates any third party’s intellectual property rights or other proprietary rights or contractual rights;
in a manner that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
to engage in spamming, ‘chain letters, ‘pyramid schemes’, advertisement of illegal or controlled products or services, or other advertising or marketing activities that violate these Terms of Service, any applicable laws, regulations or generally-accepted advertising industry guidelines;
in a manner that is misleading, deceptive or fraudulent or otherwise illegal or promotes illegal activities, including engaging in phishing or otherwise obtaining financial or other personal information in a misleading manner or for fraudulent or misleading purposes;
in a manner that is libelous or defamatory, or in a way that is otherwise threatening, abusive, violent, harassing, malicious or harmful to any person or entity, or invasive of another’s privacy;
in a manner that is harmful to minors in any way;
in a manner that is hateful or discriminatory based on race, color, sex, religion, nationality, ethnic or national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation or age or is otherwise objectionable;
to impersonate any other person, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity, or to obtain access to this Network without authorisation;
to interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of this Network or prevent others from using this Network, or in a manner that disrupts the normal flow of dialogue with an excessive number of messages (flooding attack) to this Network, or that otherwise negatively affects other persons ability to use this Network;
to use any manual or automated means, including agents, robots, scripts, or spiders, to access or manage any users account or to monitor or copy this Network or the content contained therein;
to facilitate the unlawful distribution of copyrighted content;
in a manner that includes personal or identifying information about another person without that persons explicit consent;
in a manner that employs misleading email or IP addresses, or forged headers or otherwise manipulated identifiers in order to disguise the origin of content transmitted through this Network or to users; and
Additionally, you agree not to:
Stalk or otherwise harass anyone;
Collect, use or disclose data, including personal information, about other users without their consent or for unlawful purposes or in violation of applicable law or regulations;
Request, solicit or otherwise obtain access to usernames, passwords or other authentication credentials from any member of this Network or to proxy authentication credentials for any member of this Network for the purposes of automating logins to this Network;
Post any content containing child pornography to this Network;
Post any content that depicts or contains rape, extreme violence, murder, bestiality, incest, or other similar content;
Post any content that constitutes pornography, contains nudity, or is adult in nature.
Use automated means, including spiders, robots, crawlers, data mining tools, or the like to download data from this Network except for Internet search engines (e.g. Google) and non-commercial public archives (e.g. archive.org) that comply with our robots.txt file, or well-behaved web services/RSS/Atom clients. We reserve the right to define what we mean by well-behaved;
Post irrelevant content, repeatedly post the same or similar content or otherwise impose an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on the Network infrastructure;
Attempt to gain unauthorised access to our computer systems or engage in any activity that disrupts, diminishes the quality of, interferes with the performance of, or impairs the functionality of, this Property Tribes;
Develop, invoke, or utilise any code to disrupt, diminish the quality of, interfere with the performance of, or impair the functionality of Property Tribes.
Please also note that if you chose to use your real name within the forum and/or as a title it can be picked up by Google and indexed.
Unsubscribing from Property Tribes:
We respect your privacy and you have complete control over all your notifications and subscriptions to our site, of which there are several formats including email newsletter, email notifications, and google push notifications.
We have created a post to explain to you how to change your account subscriptions:
How can I unsubscribe from Property Tribes?
If you struggle with your subscriptions or want your account deleted, please contact the moderator.
We hope you enjoy your membership, share your knowledge and opinion, make some new connections, and learn something new to help you move your property business forwards.
If you have got value from your membership, you might like to buy PT a coffee via our supporter's page. :)
If you have any questions about the use of Property Tribes, please contact the moderator at nicktadd (at) mac.com.