X

Sign Up

or

By signing up I agree to Property Tribes Terms and Conditions


Already a PT member? Log In

Sign Up

Sign Up With Facebook, Twitter, or Google

or


By signing up, I agree to Property Tribes Terms and Conditions


Already a PT member? Log In

Log In

or


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Forgot Password

To reset your password just enter the email address you registered with and we'll send you a link to access a new password.


Already a PT member? Log In

Don't have an account? Sign Up

  • Property-a-holics

    Join us in supporting Gas Safety Week 2016



    Property Tribes is once again pleased to lend its support to Gas Safety Week - happening ALL THIS WEEK from 19th to 26th September.

    Gas Safety Week is an annual safety week to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances. It is co-ordinated by Gas Safe Register with support from the gas industry including retailers, manufacturers, consumer bodies and the public.

    Twenty three million households in United Kingdom, Isle of Man and Guernsey use gas for heating, hot water and cooking, yet we take it for granted that our boilers, cookers and gas fires are safe. Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Did you know?

    >Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.



    > Gas Safe Register estimates that there are around 7,500 illegal gas fitters operating across the UK and up to 250,000 illegal gas jobs may be carried out each year (Gas Safe Register Research 2009).

    > Although there is awareness that gas appliances need to be safety checked annually, 43% of Britons don’t do it, and 10% have gas appliances which have never been checked (Gas Safety Week Research 2011).

    > In the UK around 50 people die from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning every year, and 200 people are left seriously ill.

    One problem that landlords sometimes experience is not being able to gain access to their rental property, in order for the Gas Safety Certificate check to be undertaken.

    Tessa Shepperson of Landlord Law has produced the Gas Access Kit to show you how to gain access to your property legally.

    Follow Gas Safe Register’s advice this Gas Safety Week and beyond:

    1. Visit http://www.staygassafe.co.uk to find out about the gas dangers and risks in your area

    2. Get all of the gas appliances in your home safety checked and maintained annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer – this will ensure that your appliances continue to work safely

    3. Sign up to have a gas safety check reminder sent to you annually so that you never forget to keep you and your family safe

    4. Don’t fall victim to illegal gas work - only use a Gas Safe registered engineer and ask to see their Gas Safe ID card. 

    5. Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working correctly. A lazy yellow flame, black marks or stains around the appliance, or too much condensation in the room are all signs that your appliances aren’t safe.

    The AA's Home Assist engineers regularly come across gas appliances that are badly maintained or in a dangerous state. Here are genuine reports from our engineers.

    • A customer moved their carbon monoxide alarm from their living room into the hall after it repeatedly went off. They wrongly assumed it was caused by steam from the adjoining kitchen. In fact the alarm was caused a bird's nest blocking the customer's chimney. Fuel from the fire couldn't burn properly, creating carbon monoxide and a potentially lethal situation.
    • A person had begun using their old gas fire when their boiler had gone on the blink. The engineer who came to fix the boiler noticed that the fire was very sooty – a sign that carbon monoxide could be present. When he carried out a smoke test on the fireplace, the neighbour ran in to say their house was filling up with smoke. They had been unwell with what they thought was a cold, but was more likely due to carbon monoxide poisoning. Some building work on the chimney had caused the smoke and carbon monoxide to spill into the neighbouring property.
    • Several engineers have reported seeing flues – the pipe that takes waste gases from the boiler to the outside – that had become so hot because of poor combustion in the boiler that they had melted.
    • A DIY enthusiast decided to drill holes in their cooker burner injectors – the fixtures inside a cooker that controls the flame – the logic being that more gas meant faster cooking. It didn't work: the member suffered symptoms of carbon monoxide inhalation. A clue was that the kitchen walls were stained black from the smoke caused by this potentially lethal modification.

    Do your bit to create awareness of the importance of gas safety by sharing this thread on your social media channels using the #GSW2016 hashtag.

    To find a Gas Safe registered engineer and for more general gas safety advice visit http://www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.

    0
    0

    Gas Safety Week kicked off this morning with a social media Thunderclap that reached over 1.2 million people and is still growing. Once again there's a record amount of support for the week, with over 6,500 of you taking part. Thank you for doing your bit in helping to keep the nation gas safe.

    New Research

    This year the Gas Safe Register have cast a light over the most vulnerable people in our communites and are encouraging the public to not only get their own gas appliances checked by a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer, but also to help their older friends and relatives avoid gas dangers in their home.  This can also be applied to tenants.



    0
    0